In the last few years, the number of real-time applications has increased. These applications are sensitive and require the methods to utilize existing network capacity efficiently to meet performance requirements and achieve the maximum throughput to overcome delay, jitter and packet loss.
In such cases, when the network needs to support highly interactive traffic like packet-switched voice, the network congestion is an issue that can lead to various problems. If the level of congestion is high enough, the users may not be able to complete their calls and have existing calls dropped or may experience a variety of delays that make it difficult to participate smooth conversation.
In this paper, we investigate the effect of priority levels on soft real-time performance. We use the priority queues to help us manage the congestion, handle the interactive traffic and improve the over all performance of the system. We consider switched multi-hop network with priority queues. All the switches and end-nodes control the real-time traffic with “Earlier Deadline First” scheduling. The performance of the network is characterized in terms of the average delay, the deadline missing ratio and the throughput.
We will analyze these parameters with both the bursty traffic and evenly distributed traffic. We will analyze different priority levels and will see how the increase in priority level increases the performance of the soft real-time system.
Source: Halmstad University
Author: Ahmed, Iftikhar | Farooq, Muhammad
- Scalable and QoS Networking Solutions for Telemedicine (Netwoking/Biomedical Project)
- TCP Performance in an EGPRS system (Computer/Networking Project)
- Dynamic Hybrid Topology Design for Integrated Traffic Support in WDM Mesh Networks (Computer Project)
- Scalable Video Transport over IP Networks (Networking Project)
- Strategies for Enhancing Throughput and Fairness in SMT Processors (Electronics Project)
- RETINA: A REal TIme Navigation System (Computer Project)
- 3G and Internet Protocols Integration (Networking Project)