This report is a first practical study of micro valves for hydraulics, manufactured by Microstaq Inc. who uses, for hydraulics, new materials and new actuating technologies. The purpose is to evaluate if, in the future, there is any possibility of complementing or exchanging the classical use of electro magnetic solenoids in electro hydraulic applications with this new technology.
The valves studied are of MEMS-type (Micro Electro Mechanical Systems), which are etched out of silicon and has an electro thermic actuation. During the study it showed that this new valve technology had some teething troubles. The valves had proplems managing high pressure drops, both regarding strength of materials and performance. If you let the manufacturers further develop this technology there are great potentials for using this in future hydraulic systems.
Source: Linköping University
Author: Bengtsson, Robert
- Development of Micro-Valves actuated by Polypyrrole/Gold bilayers (Mechanical Project)
- Fault Diagnosis of Electronic Fuel Control (EFC) Valves via Dynamic Performance Test Method (Electronics Project)
- Characterization of Polypyrrole/Gold Bilayers for Micro-valve Design (Mechanical Project)
- Concept design of an Ultra-light Industrial Robot (Mechanical Project)
- A Novel Airflow Control Valve for use in Medical Applications (Mechanical Project)
- Electronic Valve Actuation in Combustion Engine
- Effect of Temperature on Mechanical Response of Austenitic Materials (Mechanical Project)